Argentario Sailing Week in Porto Santo Stefano
After two years of absence, the Mediterranean circuit of the Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge welcomes back the Argentario Sailing Week, the meeting in Porto Santo Stefano that brings dozens of splendid classic and vintage sailboats to the Pilarella quay. The event will be taking place from 16 to 19 June, opening the headland’s tourist season with a passion for classic yacht culture.
Thanks to the return of the Argentario Sailing Week, the Mediterranean Circuit of the Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge now includes no fewer than five regattas covering Italy, France and Spain. As always, the Vele d’Epoca in Porto Rotondo replaces the Vele d’Epoca in Imperia in the first half of September of every second year, this year hosting yacht owners in the Yacht Club that has been completely rebuilt following last year’s fire.
In the second half of June, when winds blow more strongly, ideal conditions are created for racing around the ancient port of Santo Stefano, on the western side of Mount Argentario. That is precisely when the Argentario Sailing Week is held, the regatta reserved for classic and vintage yachts, which each year hosts watercraft from all over the Mediterranean to partake in thrilling challenges celebrating beauty and love of the sea.
Began in 1992 under the name Vele d’Argento and rechristened Argentario Sailing Week in 1999, the Porto Santo Stefano fixture is now one of the great classics of the vintage sailing season. Owners, crews and fans gather in Porto Vecchio, known also as “La Pilarella”, from the name of one of the districts into which the charming seaside village that hosts the event is traditionally divided.
Years Running: 12
Yacht Club: Yacht Club Santo Stefano (Porto Santo Stefano, Italy) Founded: 1960
Panerai Promotion Video
Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge
For the eighth consecutive year, Officine Panerai is sponsoring the largest international circuit of regattas reserved for classic yachts. The Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge 2012 presents an extraordinary calendar of races celebrating the sea and the most beautiful classic yachts still sailing, attracting the attention of thousands of yachtsmen and women, journalists and enthusiasts. This year more than five hundred boats are expected for the ten races making up the program with over five thousand boat owners involved: the Mediterranean Circuit will take place between June and late September with regattas in Antibes, Porto Santo Stefano, Mahon, Cannes and Imperia, which every two years is included among the stages of the PCYC. On the other side of the Atlantic, the east coast of the United States will be the venue for the North American Circuit, which features stages in Marblehead, Nantucket and Newport. Not included in either of the two circuits for geographical reasons, and yet unmissable, are the Panerai British Classic Week in Cowes on the Isle of Wight and the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta which complete the 2012 PCYC calendar.
- Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta (Antigua), April 19th – 24th, 2012
- Les Voiles d’Antibes (Antibes, Francia), May 30th – June 3rd, 2012, Articles about
- Argentario Sailing Week (Porto Santo Stefano, Italia), June 14th – 17th, 2012
- Panerai British Classic Week (Cowes, Isle of Wight, UK), July 7th – 14th, 2012
- Corinthian Classic Yacht Regatta (Marblehead, USA), August 10th – 12th, 2012
- Opera House Cup (Nantucket, USA), August 16th – 19th, 2012
- IX Copa del Rey de Barcos de Epoca (Mahon, Minorca, Spagna), August 28th – September 1st, 2012
- Museum of Yachting Classic Yacht Regatta (Newport, USA), August 31st – September 2nd, 2012
- Vele d’Epoca di Imperia (Imperia, Italia), September 5th – 9th, 2012
- Régates Royales (Cannes, Francia), September 25th – 29th, 2012
Statistic Details for your Advertising